Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Emergency: We're floating endlessly.

The weather is tricky today. I don't think I can trust it.

Saw Jonah Matranga and Anna Rosenthal last night at Hotel Utah in San Francisco last night. It was a small, intimate venue which meant if you didn't get there early enough you were stuck in the doorway from where the bar is, craning your head to get a peak at the stage. Anna Rosenthal went on first and blew me away. I had checked out her myspace (http://www.myspace.com/annarikjerosenthal) a bit before going to the show and listened to her two covers. I was more curious than anything after hearing those about her own material. I was more than surprised when she started singing. Her voice is incredible and floored me. It was very soothing and calming which was refreshing.



Shortly after her set Jonah took the stage. It took me by surprise that he wasn't headlining, but that was my mistake. I guess I misread the flyer. Regardless, it's always a pleasure to see him play. He played mostly Jonah/onelinedrawing stuff. Mid set he busted out the uklele and covered a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young song (Helpless) and also covered a Sugarcubes song (Birthday).



He closed the set by playing The Greatest Wonder and So Long. It was a relatively short set. 50 minutes. That particular venue is perfect for Jonah to play because he is so intimate and has a close relationship with his audience, even if it's your first Jonah show.



Jonah has been talking about Leonord Cohen for the past month or so and how when he saw him he gave such care to each individual note and he really took his time and his performance was ineffable. After the show last night I told Jonah that he was to me what Leonord Cohen is to him. He pulled me back in for another hug and let me know how happy he was that I felt that way and what not. Jonah is my favorite musician ever...hands down. This will not change.

Lost is on tonight. Second to last episode of the season. **possible spoiler** My prediction on the finale, either Sayid will die or Penny will die. Sayid's story is pretty much wrapped up. We know Nadya is dead and how Sayid worked for Ben off the island and why. He has never been mentioned in regards to Jacob's list so for him to die would nicely wrap up his story and he could be with Nadya again. Penny however, could get killed (by Ben somehow since he said he would kill Whidmore's daughter because he "changed the rules") and thus fuel Desmond to try and get back to the island to get revenge on Ben. Maybe even Ben would make it seem like Whidmore did it and drive Desmond to kill Whidmore. This is getting a little out of hand, but I think one of them will die next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment